Be a part of your local RDA volunteer dream team
We rely on the energy and commitment of our wonderful volunteers. Being an RDA volunteer is fun and extremely rewarding. Whether you're a horsey or non-horsey type of person, there is a perfect role for you at your local RDA Group.
If you have the time and the energy, we have the perfect role for you
Coaches and volunteers are an integral part of what we do. We have over 1,800 volunteers throughout the country and we're always on the look-out for more. With your help, we can reach even more riders and change even more lives. We can offer you lots of great training and support, the chance to make a positive difference in the lives of people with a disability, and the chance to make great friends and learn new skills.
Whether you're a horsey or non-horsey type of person, there is a perfect role for you at your local RDA Group.
Volunteer for RDA and:
- Learn new skills (including gaining a NZQA qualification)
- Enjoy the fresh air and stay fit
- Make a difference to someone’s life!
- Have fun and make new friends
- Be part of something special
Choose your area of interest or expertise:
- Preparing RDA horses prior to each rider's arrival
- Leading horses and ponies during RDA riding sessions
- Horse training and horse care
- Assisting during RDA riding sessions (for example, as side-walkers who encourage our riders, help them focus, and ensure they're safe)
- Helping with unmounted activities
- Assisting RDA coaches and therapists with equipment for RDA games and riding sessions
- Fitting helmets and checking riding clothing
- Providing refreshments for volunteers (and for riders and their families or care-givers)
- Maintaining horse pastures, fences and equipment
- Fundraising, publicity and RDA local committee activities
- Organising RDA outings, camps and competitions
- Co-ordinating transport (for example, to RDA events and other local or regional activities)
For health and safety reasons, our RDA volunteers must be at least 14 years of age or older.
Please contact your local RDA group to find out more, please be aware some groups may have a higher minimum age.